*This post was originally published on the NICORA blog.
Conscious shopping may be a strange concept for many, but at its core remains a simple approach when using your purchasing power: having a more active shopping experience, through more informed and mindful decisions. Conscious consumers are actively aware of their purchases, consider the transparency and social impact of companies, and focus on the long-term or “big picture” effects of purchases.
Are you curious about how to shop consciously? Here are five basic habits of conscious consumers that you can apply to your own shopping.
It’s starting to be that busy time of the year and in the midst of all the chaos, I’ve been continually reminded to focus on family and my own well-being. I’ll be finishing up my graduate studies (for good!) right before Christmas this year and I’m so excited to spend time with my family and friends without the usual school distractions and stress looming over me. While I haven’t had much free time to update my blog as often as I’ve wanted, I’ve had time to reflect on personal priorities and values, and what’s changed so far.
‘Tis the season…and I’m still rounding up some last-minute gifts because I’m a total procrastinator. In any case, I always enjoy any opportunity to sneak in some green beauty gifts for my family and friends! I selected a few of Credo Beauty’s show-stopping green beauty products (available in-store or online,) that will surely impress even the biggest humbug out there:
For the last few years, I’ve compiled tons of green beauty deals for Black Friday. As I’ve committed myself to making more ethical, sustainable, and minimalist purchases, my perspective on Black Friday is a bit different. My hope is that talking about it will encourage others to feel the same.
I’m always on the hunt for outstanding products and equally awesome places to shop.iHerb is a great place to find affordable, natural and organic personal care products, food, and home goods. Not only am I a fan of iHerb’s product selection and prices, but I also admire their commitment to the environment through many eco-friendly initiatives like using recycled packaging, providing paperless orders, donating profits to various international charities, and the use of carbon neutral UPS shipments.
Read on to hear about my experience shopping at iHerb* and what I picked up in my first order. You can grab $5 off your first order using my code: BLG494. Plus, enter to win a $50 iHerb giftcard at the end of this post! (There will be 2 lucky winners!)
There’s no better time than now to reflect on the blessings we have and rejoice with friends and family. It’s also a great time to get shopping for those you love and to support small and local businesses!
I don’t like to emphasize shopping like crazy or finding the importance in things, but there are many great deals to encourage more people to be introduced to green beauty and buy fewer, better quality, nontoxic products. Green beauty can be accessible and affordable for all!
As always, I’ve compiled a list of the best green beauty Black Friday deals this year. This list will be updated as I receive more deal news, so keep checking back!
Below is my part of the guide, gift ideas for the Seasoned Green Beauty. (Don’t forget to check out my Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals list too, you can save on a lot of the products below with some promos that are still going on!)
As a fellow deal-hunter, last year I decided to compile the best Black Friday deals I found for some of my favorite green beauty products and brands. Some of the best deals can be had during this holiday weekend and actually, some great pre-Black Friday deals are happening right now! I purchased a lot of things off my wishlist and discovered great, new products at amazing prices last year. I had so much fun sharing and updating my massive list of Black Friday/Cyber Monday promos that I’m doing it again this year!
Happy Shopping! Check out this year’s deals below: (Come back to this post as I will continue to update with more deals and details as I find them throughout the holiday weekend! )
Since I started going green with my beauty and skincare products, I’ve done a lot of online shopping (and I mean, A LOT). As someone who absolutely hates online shopping– I’m a touch-smell-feel-try-in-store kinda gal, I thought it’d be helpful to share my experiences with various online, one-stop green beauty shops across the spectrum. I love shopping from brands themselves (it always feels like a nice personal interaction) but, someones general green beauty shops are just more convenient with all the brands and products to shop from in one place.
I told myself I would be good this Black Friday/Cyber Monday and looking back on the list of things that I did buy for myself, it doesn’t look too bad. (Right, riiiight?) And I did pick up some gifts for my family and friends for the holidays too! Not going to list those, just in case…
I couldn’t pass up all the great sales on green beauty must-haves that I wanted to try, here’s what I purchased this year (prices listed reflect current product prices):
1. Dr. Sponge Facial Cleansing Sponge-I’ve been wanting to try these cute little konjac sponges out for a while so I picked up the Pearl Powder one for myself during the sale at Abe’s Market. They come in a variety of colors/functions. Konjac sponges are dervied from the Asian konjac plant which has been proven to nourish and exfoliate the skin naturally and gently. The Pearl Powder Dr. Sponge claims to even out skin tone, reduce the appearance of dark spots and discoloration, and enhance skin radiance.($8.50)
2. Meow Meow Tweet Beer Shampoo Bar Soap- I was very intrigued by this unique bar of soap that can be used to nourish hair as well as the body. Comprised of natural and organic ingredients: “Jojoba oils and hempseed oils condition the hair and scalp, while beer promotes shiny, bright hair. Aloe vera moisturizes, softens and detangles hair.” Plus, it smells awesome! The Brooklyn-based, all natural, vegan and cruelty-free brand also has the cutest handmade, sustainable packaging! ($9)
3. Osmia Organics Detox Exfoliating Mask, Spot Treatment and Lavender Mint Soap- It took me awhile to choose what to purchase from Osmia because I wanted everything! (Still do.) I’m a mad facial mask woman so I had to have the Detox Exfoliating Mask ($50), whose main ingredients consist of 3 types of purifying clay, nourishing raw cacao and manuka honey, and toxin-removing activated bamboo charcoal. The Spot Treatment ($20) was another no-brainer, beloved by many a green beauty enthusiast. A mix of essential oils, the Treatment powerfully clears blemishes while healing the skin. I had to purchase a gorgeous, handmade soap and the Lavender Mint ($12) mixture sounded lovely and calming.
4. May Lindstrom Skin The Problem Solver-Another facial mask that I had dying to try. This May Lindstrom Skin essential has been dubbed a staple for every green beauty. After I purchased and fell in love with the line’s exfoliating cleanser, The Clean Dirt I knew I’d have to try out The Problem Solver as well. “A jet-black fusion of antioxidant-rich raw cacao, healing bamboo charcoal, soil nutrients, salts, and exotic warming spices go deep on a mission to reveal your most radiant self.” ($90)
5. 100% Pure Pomegranate Antioxidant Hydration SPF 20 Moisturizer- I’ve always loved 100% Pure products due to their ingredients and mission for truely natural products. On Cyber Monday, the brand had a bunch of products on sale for only $10 each and I needed a new daily moisturizer plus it has sun protection, enough said. ($26)
6. H.Gillerman Organics Jaw Clenching Remedy and Stress Remedy- I met Hope Gillerman during that crazy crowded event, A Night for Green Beauty but I was so intrigued by her organic essential oil blends specially to relieve stress-related mind/body issues. I didn’t grab any products during the event and regretted it ever since. I’d had my eye on the Jaw Clenching Remedy (yup, I’m a jaw clencher by night) and the acclaimed Stress Remedy. I admired Hope Gillerman’s knowledge and passion for her products that I know these products will be of great use to me. ($48 each)
7. ILLUME Candles, Gilded Amberleaf Candle Tin-I’ve been dying to switch to more ethically-sourced, eco-friendly candles and I couldn’t pass up purchasing some gorgeous ILLUME candles on sale. These candles are handcrafted from 100% natural soy blend with beeswax, essential oils and a cotton wick. This particular scent features warm scents, “Rich cedarwood and golden amber are infused with mandarin, vetiver, vanilla and tobacco” and the gold and white accented tin holder will surely be sititing pretty in any room. ($18)
8. Honeybee Gardens JobaColors Eyeliner in Jet Set- I’ve been looking for a good, natural eyeliner that doesn’t smudge or drag yet wasn’t so expensive. Derived from a jojoba-based formula, this organic eyeliner has been seemed like a good option to try next. I couldn’t pass up the deal for it at Organic Beauty Talk’s Holiday Shop during Black Friday. ($8.99)
Did you snap up any good deals on Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Tell me, I want to know what you got too!
*Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links that do not cost anything to click or purchase through but purchasing through these links do help support this site.