It hasn’t really started to feel like winter until recently. The temperatures are dropping and my skin is feeling it! I’ve been determined to continue focusing on skincare and maintaining a healthy routine. Here are some skincare products I’ve been using to successfully combat the effects of cold weather:
Even though the holiday season is over and the New Year has started, it doesn’t mean the wrath of winter has completely subsided (at least, not for us lucky folk on the East Coast). The first of my annual winter woes are always chapped lips. Here’s how I’ve been managing a smooth pucker against this year’s cruel polar vortex:
1.) EXFOLIATE- LUSH Mint Julips Lip Scrub ($9,95): If my sister hadn’t bought me this yummy, mint-tasting lip scrub from LUSH for my birthday last year, I probably would’ve tried (keyword there) to make a homemade lip scrub. However, being the lazy girl that I am, this scrub has been my go-to for getting rid of perpetual dry skin on my lips. At least twice a day, before applying makeup or eating, I exfoliate my lips with this lip scrub and follow up with a lip balm. I will say it’s a tad drying to my lips but it does the job. Containing jojoba and vegan sugar, it’s a perfect way to scrub away dry skin and maintain soft, smooth lips for the day. Interested in trying these next: Bargain:Lauren Brooke Cosmetiques, Organic Lip Scrub, $5.50 Luxe:ILIA Beauty, Balmy Nights lip exfoliator stick, $26
2.)MOISTURIZE-S.W. Basics Lip Balm ($4): This balm is seriously the bomb! (Corny enough for you yet?) I haven’t found anything as moisturizing for my lips and doesn’t require constant reapplication. The flavors are delicious and if you’re not so keen on beeswax, they’re also offered in Vegan form. You can bet this sucker is always in my bag and on my lips everyday. I like that S.W. Basics products always have a simple ingredient lineup and this lip balm is no different. I recommend staying away from lip products with petroleum, camphor, menthol and salicylic acid which can contribute to dry and irritated lips and making you constantly apply lip balm. Interested in trying these next: Bargain:Badger Organic, Lip Balm Ginger and Lemon, $2.69 Luxe: Tata Harper, Lip Treatment Be True, $28
3.) PROTECT- After treating my lips, I like to lock in the moisture and protect my pucker from further outside damage. I love a great, hydrating tinted balm to act as my base lip product for the day and to provide a hint of color whether or not I decide to wear more lip products. I’m really loving Gressa Skin’s Lip Boost BARE ($21)* for this step in my lip routine. Bare is a perfect muted pink for an everyday, natural, “your lips but better” look. It’s very moisturizing and has great staying power whether used alone or as a base with other lip products layered on top. Another tinted lip balm which has the same super moisturizing and pigmented characteristics are the ILIA Beauty Tinted Lip Conditioners. I use Arabian Knights ($26) daily as a moisturizing balm and for a flush of red on the lips. Interested in trying these next: Bargain:Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm in Red Dahlia, $6.99 Luxe: RMS Lip Shine in Bloom, $25
*Indicated products were sent to me for review purposes. This post is not sponsored and I am never paid for my honest opinion. This post contains some affiliate links that do not cost anything to click or purchase through but purchasing through these links do help support this site.
Happy December! The Christmas music started even before Thanksgiving day this year…oy.
1. Loving these futuristic boxcar planters for the house– I Am The Lab
2. I work in e-commerce so this was an interesting article about the sales trends post-Thanksgiving holiday sales this year– Women’s Wear Daily
3. Holy cow, these Of a Kind Holiday Grab Bags are to die for! I love the one for ladies: Marble & Milkweek facial set, Baggu leather pouch, Cold Spring Apothecary candle, Walkup Press cards and The Cozy Leaf tea. The Men’s option makes for a great gift as well– Of a Kind
4. One of my favorite authors, Khaled Hosseini wins me over once again with his most recent novel, “And the Mountains Echoed”. I read it a couple months ago but it’s only $3 on Amazon Kindle now!– Amazon
5. How cool is this Kickstarter? EVAK: A glass food storage system that removes excess air from the container– Kickstarter
6. I’m obsessed with the Netflix series, Orange Is the New Black and if you haven’t watched it you should! 2 of my fave actresses from the show, aka Taystee and Crazy Eyes made a holiday music video and it’s pretty cute– Vulture
7. Are you a fan of Sriracha sauce? You might want to stock up on those savory red bottles. A judge ruled that the Sriracha factory be closed after employees complained of burning eyes, sore throats and headaches– NPR
8. Have you heard? Soon Amazon will be delivering packages to your door in a half hour by flying drones– The Verge
9. My beauty obsession started with BB Cream. The Environmental Working Group explains what BB and CC creams really are and picks their top, cleanest BB and CC Creams– EWG