Lily Lolo is an all natural mineral makeup brand from the U.K. that just recently launched in the U.S. and Canada this year. I had been excitedly anticipating Lily Lolo’s North American debut because they are known for professional, high-quality mineral makeup with lots of product options and with reasonable prices.
Not only did Lily Lolo introduce their amazing mineral cosmetics to excited fans in the U.S. and Canada, the launch also welcomed some truly lust-worthy products. I was intrigued to be able to test out the brand’s new Mascara andBB Cream.
Introducing a new series on Plein Vanity: Sister Spotlight! Something I’ve been wanting to do for a while is have my lovely sister, Monica talk about her personal skincare and beauty journey as she converts from conventional to clean beauty. (And of course with my help!) I think it’s helpful to read about another person’s perspective on skincare and beauty on Plein Vanity besides my own.
This post is definitely long overdue but some products just hold on to my heart like none other and then a year goes by and I realize I probably should have written a review about it. Sorry dear readers, I’m working on it. (I’m also working on taking better photos of my eyelids too which is mostly the reason why this post is so delayed. #bloggerfail) Today I’m finally talking about the love of my eyelashes, the cult favorite: Kjaer Weis Mascara.
I was very excited to try out this product after first setting eyes on it during the Juice Beauty event I attended in the summer. Juice Beauty’s founder, Karen explained that this mascara took a while to develop because she wanted to make sure the formula was just right. Karen wanted this mascara to perform as well as, if not better, than any non-organic mascara on the market so there were many test trials involved. Well, I can firmly say that the wait for this mascara is really worth it, this product is amazing. It might actually be better than any dirty (non-organic) mascara I’ve tried.
I love how chic the packaging is, the frosted metal tube gives the product a touch of luxury. Though the tube itself feels quite heavy to hold, there is a bit more product than other mascaras, the total weight is 0.21oz.
After my smudgy-experience with Alima Pure, I was a bit nervous when I unscrewed Juice Beauty’s mascara and it seemed a bit watery. However once applied, the formula felt great on my lashes. The mascara did not smudge, kept my lashes curled and provided natural definition. I wore it for over 8 hours every day with no need to reapply and absolutely no indication of smudging, clumping or flaking. Can you believe that? My lashes looked just as they had upon first application.
I am so impressed and I’ve been loving using this mascara everyday. One thing to keep in mind: if you’re used to super voluminous lashes, don’t expect it from this mascara. Juice Beauty’s Lash Defining Mascara is a great product for natural, defined lashes but may not give you that extra plush, false-lash look. Personally, I’m ok with that because this mascara helps to lengthen and define my lashes for a natural, everyday look. It would also be a great mascara to layer a more voluminous mascara on top. (Maybe I’ll try that in combination with Alima Pure’s mascara?)
After 2 coats of mascara
As with any product from Juice Beauty, this mascara was formulated without parabens, petroleum, propylene or butylene glycol, sodium lauryl sulfates, pesticides, phthalates, artificial dyes or synthetic fragrances. The ingredients are certified organic and mineral-based and are not tested on animals:
I’d definitely repurchase this mascara plus, the price is quite reasonable as far as high end mascaras go. You can purchase Juice Beauty’s Lash Defining Mascara online for $19. Also available online and in stores at Ulta.
Major props to Juice Beauty for creating an amazing organic mascara that could put other clean and even dirty mascaras to shame!
Have you tried Juice Beauty’s Lash Defining Mascara or any other natural mascaras?
*This product was kindly provided to me by Juice Beauty for my review. This post contains my honest opinion based on my personal experience with the product. I am never paid to give my honest opinion and only review items that I enjoy using or want to share my thoughts on.
Let me start this off by saying, I never win ANYTHING. So it was a bit abnormal yet exciting for me to see my name staring back at me on Facebook after I noticed I’d won a free mascara giveaway from Alima Pure! Finding a natural mascara that performs well and gives you all the perks of a mainstream mascara is definitely hard to come by. It’s a tough one in the green world but more and more companies are vying for the title of best performing, natural mascara.
Among the newer released natural mascaras out this year, the Natural Definition Mascara has been a highly anticipated product among Alima Pure fans and other natural makeup lovers. Like their renowned mineral makeup, Alima Pure’s Natural Definition Mascara is 100% cruelty-free and the mascara pigments are derived from pure minerals. Available in black or brown, the Natural Definition Mascara consists of more than 90% natural and naturally derived ingredients including natural oils and waxes.
How did I like this natural mascara? I’ve been using this mascara for a couple weeks now but my initial reaction after first swipe was, “HOLY VOLUME!”. This mascara sure packed a punch in the volume department and with only 2 coats, my limp lashes immediately perked up, full and plush with no sign of clumping or flaking. I found the formula to be a bit on the wet side but was not irritating or heavy on my lashes. The definition this mascara gave to my lashes was amazing! It was pretty much on par with my much-loved, non-natural, voluminous mascaras: Benefit’s They’re Real or Maybelline’s The Falsies. The mascara brush surprised me after initially thinking the bristles seemed hard and plastic-like. The wand is not too thick or long but is the perfect shape and material for combing out lashes and naturally separating, lifting and defining.
Update: Detailed photo below
The bad: While I loved that this mascara did not feel heavy on my lashes, gave amazing volume and natural definition, I did experience a bit too much smudging than anticipated. Even after my initial 2 swipes of mascara, I noticed the mascara smudging and transferring on my eyelids and under my eyes. After over 8 hours of wear, the mascara lasted and definitely kept my lashes defined, seperated and curled, but throughout the day I found myself wiping away the remains of mascara under my eyes.
All in all, the Alima Pure Natural Definition Mascara is wonderful in providing beautifully defined and voluminous lashes. If the formula didn’t smudge as much on me, this would have been a perfect mascara for me. I’ll still be wearing this mascara and think it’ll be great as a base-coat mascara.
Guess what? My birthday is this Friday! I cannot believe it will already be August, the summer is just flying by and I am not ready to be one year older…okay maybe it’s not all that bad!
Of course I was easily able to round up some of the products I’m currently lusting after for my very own birthday list. Now if only I were to get all the things on this list…(Are you paying attention, family and friends? haha) Looking back, I could have been a bit more extravagant in my wishing but what can I say, I’m trying to be realistic even in my dreams…
1) Kjaer Weis Cream Blush in Desired Glow, $54– I’m a lover of cream blushes and there’s nothing I love more than blushes that also double as bronzer. This beautiful suble tan is said to be perfect for light to medium complexions and is easily blendable, plus the ingredients are 95% organic and how could you not love the super-chic packaging?
2) Kjaer Weis Mascara, $38– Okay, I’m on a Kjaer Weis-kick but this mascara has been raved about by almost every beauty-loving eco-chick and is said to be lengthening, long-lasting and luxurious. As far as organic mascaras go, it is the “creme de la creme” and is also refillable (refills are sold separately) so as to avoid bacteria buildup. So cool!
3) RMS Beauty Lip2Cheek in Promise, $36– I’ve said it before but I love multi-use products and this RMS Beauty product is one I’ve been dying to try. The Lip2Cheek is a cream product that can be used as a lip or cheek tint. Promise is described as a “warm salmon with a subtle warmth” so I believe it’d be a great pop of natural color on my pale skin, perfect for the remainder of summer.
4) ILIA Beauty Tinted Lip Conditioner in Bang Bang, $24– I’ve been dying to try ILIA’s Tinted Lip Conditioners as my lips are normally dry and this specific product is supposedly very moisturizing and soothing. Bang Bang is a popular colors as it’s a beautiful, sheer red that is easily buildable.
5) One Love Organics Morning Glory Brightening Complexion Booster, $48- I’d really love to add some serums to my skincare routine and this One Love Organics serum sounds amazing. The claims are that it “counteracts dullness, puffiness, and unevenness with a intelligent combination of organic ingredients and omega acids. Plus, the zesty lemon peppermint scent provides a natural mood boost.” All the ingredients are soothing to the skin and are organic/plant based including Vegan-sourced Omega 3 fatty acids which “smooth lines and defend against environmental damage.” I also love that the skincare line partners with different artists and designers for unique, attractive packaging designs.
6) RGB Nail Polish in Pool, $18- I’m really more of a nude nail polish color kind of girl but there’s nothing like a beautiful pop of color and from a five-free* nail polish line like RGB (*Contains no Formaldehyde, no Toluene, no DBP, no Formaldehyde Resin, no Camphor). Maybe it’s the influence of the summer season but I’m loving this aptly named, bright baby-blue color in Pool. Perfect against tanned, summer skin whether lounging outside or out on the town. This is also from RGB’s Summer limited edition nail color line.
7) Bdellium Tools Green Bambu brush set, $89.10- There is nothing more that I love than beautiful makeup besides beautiful makeup brushes. Not only are these brushes super cute (they’re green-colored!) but they are made from soft, synthetic, vegan bristles and sustainable bamboo handles. This set includes 15 professional-grade eco-friendly brushes for face, eyes and brows in a nice rollup pouch.
8) Pai Skincare Camellia & Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser, $50-$70 depending on size- I’ve been lusting over all the products from Pai Skincare as many beauty bloggers and makeup artists have raved about this organic, London-based skincare line that focuses specifically on sensitive skin types. I have very sensitive, reactive skin and am curious about this cleanser, a top-selling product. It’s recommended for all skin types but works specifically well for dry and sensitive skin. The formula is alcohol and detergent-free which maintains the skin’s natural oil balance and doesn’t irritate skin. It has hydrating properties, while replenishes the skin with Omega 3 and Vitamins A, B & E and also acts as an eye makeup remover.
9) Alima Pure Satin Finishing Powder, $20- I love the concept of mineral foundation, though I’m always hesitant to try it due to my super-dry skin (it has never been a fan or mineral or powder-based foundation). Alima Pure is one of the best natural, mineral makeup lines and I think their Satin Finishing Powder sounds just divine for setting my makeup. The powders come in 5 colors to suit most complexions and the names are just as pretty: Yuki, Keiko, Hanae, Ami, Sayomi. I also love that this product is free of many yucky ingredients: “no bismuth oxychloride (BOC-Free), no carmine(ci 75470-Free), no nanoparticles, non-comedorgenic (won’t clog pores), high pigmented”.
Have you tried any of these products? What’s on your current wish list?